A soggy Pacific Northwest update on the CBS Radio/Milo Ryan Phonoarchive digitization project…
- We are nearly 2/3 of the way through digitizing the archive’s 1500 reels (audio nerds, check out our workflow here).
- Milo Ryan’s discographic book, “History in Sound” (part 1), is now available as a free download here.
- While the Phonoarchive primarily documents World War II, other 20th century events are included, such as this coverage of the Watts Rebellion, the Vietnam War, etc.
- An EAD finding aid for the collection is in the works.
- We are still working on a solution for online access to the entire collection, perhaps via Internet Archive. In the meantime, if you find yourself in Seattle, you can listen to what we have digitized in UW’s Suzzallo-Allen Library. Let us know you are coming so we can try to have the material you are researching ready to roll: email@example.com.
A big THANK YOU to all of the amazing students and staff who have worked/are working on this, as well as the folks at NARA who have transferred missing reels for us!