Tomorrow we’ll be looking at musical Seattle of yore, including a focus on the AYP. In anticipation of our discussion, please consider the following:
- Given what you learned last week, what do you think of the author’s characterization of Dawamish music?
- What role did the UW play in the early musical life of Seattle?
- Which music cultures must have clashed in early Seattle?
- What were some of the positive impacts that musician unions had in early Seattle? Were there negative impacts?
- What barriers existed for Chinese and African American musicians in early Seattle?
- What’s the connection between AYP and Jimi Hendrix?
- According to Seattle proponents, why was Seattle considered to be cosmopolitan?
- According to the author, what opposing perspectives were affirmed by the inclusion of Japan and Japanese peoples in the AYP and other Seattle celebrations?
- Were racist evolutionary perspectives a part of the AYP?
- Did Japanese Americans pose a real or perceived economic threat to European Americans in Seattle? If so, what did this lead to?
For the second half of class we’ll have a change of venue and a surprise guest that we help us delve into primary sources from the AYP. Library fun awaits!